Edward Carlson has been practicing maritime and trading law in New York for approximately 10 years. Prior to joining the firm, Ed C. spent 5 years practicing law with a leading New York shipping and trading firm, with an emphasis on commercial litigation, arbitration and U.S. trade sanctions.
For approximately two years, he managed a solo practice in New York focused on U.S. trade sanctions, including with respect to the Iran nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action. Most recently, Ed C. was associate vice president in the New York office of a major Norway-based IG P&I Club, in which capacity he focused on FDD, P&I and sanctions matters. Prior to practicing law, Ed C. worked in Philadelphia as a journalist and as director of community outreach for an immigration resource center. He is also the author of a novel published in 2017.
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Bar of the State of New York
- LLM (with distinction), Tulane University Law School, New Orleans, Louisiana, Maritime Law Journal, Harry F. Stiles, Jr. scholar
- Juris Doctorate, Temple University Law School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Tokyo, Japan
- Certificate, Chinese law, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Bachelor of Arts, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois
- New York City Bar – Admiralty Committee Member (2016-2018)
- Maritime Law Association of USA – member
- Regular presenter on the intersection of maritime law, marine insurance and U.S. trade sanctions